- The Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) has selected IDunion for the second phase of the innovation competition “Showcase Secure Digital Identities”.
- The three-year implementation phase began on April 1, 2021.
- The goals of this new project phase includes the establishment of a European cooperative, the launch of a production network and the implementation of 40+ different pilot applications from several areas.
IDunion, an open ecosystem for trusted identities, entered its second project phase funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy on April 1, 2021 as part of the innovation competition “Showcase Secure Digital Identities”. With these showcase projects, the German Federal Government aims to promote the development of digital solutions for identity management in Germany within the framework of an innovation competition. This competition is based on the framework “Development of Digital Technologies“. The aim of this competition is to develop and test outstanding approaches, which are designed for everyday use and are usable in a wide range of possible applications in the field of secure digital identities.
Based on the concept of self-sovereign identities (SSI), IDunion has set itself the goal of establishing an ecosystem for natural and legal persons as well as things. Use cases in a wide range of areas will therefore be piloted in the following areas: education, e-commerce, mobility, e-government, e-health, finance, identity & access management (IAM) and industry/IoT. Some further concrete examples of applications are the following: the derivation of the ID card into available wallets, campus management and educational credentials for students, legal identities for companies or product identities.
Moreover, the network has several other ambitious goals, such as building a comprehensive framework to further develop trust in the underlying technology. In addition to this, the partners are working together on the conception and implementation of security-related aspects. The wallets and other software applications developed within the consortium will also be further enhanced to ensure an optimal user experience and a wider distribution.
A European cooperative will be established and will serve as a legal entity for the management of the network and the operation of the ecosystem. The cooperative will act in the interest of all members and will be a non-for-profit organisation. A draft of the statutes, which constitutes the set of rules for the members, can be found here.
Within this innovation competition, the following partners are funded:
- Bank-Verlag GmbH,
- Bundesdruckerei GmbH,
- DB Systel GmbH,
- Deutsche Telekom AG
- esatus AG,
- GS1 Germany GmbH,
- ING-DiBa AG,
- Main Incubator GmbH,
- Robert Bosch GmbH,
- Siemens AG,
- Stadt Köln,
- Spherity GmbH,
- Technische Universität Berlin,
- Institut für Internet-Sicherheit (Westfälische Hochschule) und
- YES Payment Services GmbH.
The following institutions are associated partners:
- 51nodes GmbH,
- Berlin Partner für Wirtschaft und Technologie GmbH,
- Berliner Senatsverwaltung für Wirtschaft, Energie und Betriebe,
- Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge,
- BWI GmbH,
- CodeCamp:N GmbH,
- Commerzbank AG,
- CompuGroup Medical Software GmbH,
- D-Trust GmbH,
- Datarella GmbH,
- DATEV eG,
- Deutsche Bank AG,
- Deutsche Post AG,
- Deutscher Sparkassen- und Giroverband e. V.,
- Energy Web Stiftung,
- Festo SE & Co. KG,
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT,
- gematik GmbH,
- mgm technology partners GmbH,
- Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Innovation, Digitalisierung und Energie des Landes NRW,
- msg systems AG,
- R3 LLC,
- regio iT gesellschaft für informationstechnologie mbh,
- targens GmbH,
- TrustCerts GmbH und
- Verband der Vereine Creditreform e.V..
With the foundation of the European cooperative, the IDunion ecosystem will be open to new partners. Interested parties can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.